Registration Procedure

Registering a Death

A death needs to be registered at the Registrars of Births & Deaths within five working days of its occurrence, unless the coroner is involved or the registrar says this period may be extended. First of all the medical certificate of Cause of Death (commonly referred to as the Death Certificate) needs to be obtained from the family doctor (in the case of a home death) or from the bereavement office at the hospital. Then you need to make an appointment at the appropriate Registrars of Births & Deaths. Additionally, if available, take with you the deceased’s Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Medical Card and the National Insurance Number and also that of a surviving spouse or civil partner.

Information Needed to Register

  • Full name of the deceased
  • The deceased’s usual address
  • The date & place of death 
  • The deceased’s maiden name or any previous names
  • Occupation
  • Full name, address and occupation of spouse or civil partner

Who Can Register the Death

The Registrar prefers that a relative of the deceased registers the death. However if there are no relatives, then someone such as a person who is present at the death, a senior administrator of the establishment in which the death occurred or the person arranging the funeral can register. (This cannot be done by the Funeral Director).

Certificate for Burial or Cremation

This form is free of charge (commonly known as “the Green Form”) and is required by the Funeral Director to give to the Cemetery or Crematorium.

Certificate of Registration/Notification of Death

This form is free of charge and is used to notify the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) of the death if the person received a state pension or any other benefits.

Certified Copies of the Death Certificate

The registrar will ask you how many Death Certificates you require (each one will cost £11). Please note if you require additional death certificates at a later date that the cost will be higher. Death Certificates are required by your solicitor, banks, building societies and other financial institutions. 

Tell us Once

This is a service offered by the registrar. Once registration has taken place several other government departments, such as the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions), D V L A and Passport Office can be contacted, to update their records to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate.

For contact details and addresses for registrar offices please see our Useful Numbers page.